Decking out everyday tech

Art club holds workshop for students to personalize their technology

Photo by Tara Sohal

An art club officer using embroidery thread to decorate her headphones.

I think it’s safe to say that many of us have experienced that insane frustration when it comes to trying to detangle the mess that is our headphones.

The Art club held their first workshop of the year in the ceramics room on Nov. 18, where students were invited to come and decorate their own headphones or charging cables to make them tangle free.

Participants of the event were encouraged to use friendship bracelet techniques to personalize their items. Multi-colored embroidery thread provided by 3D Design teacher Clare Dee enabled students to create unique designs that fit their individual tastes with a variety of colors.

“Through this workshop I think that people [were] able to learn useful ways to sort of upgrade their accessories and whatnot.” art club president junior Vicky Xu said.

Wrapping embroidery thread around the wire not only makes the gadgets look appealing, but additionally strengthens the cable, providing as extra protection and causing the cords to become less tangled up into that discouraging knot, Xu said.

“I know a lot of people get their iPhone accessories mixed up,” Xu said. “so this is a good way for them to distinguish who’s whos, and at the same time it helps the accessory itself so that it won’t break.”

Members of the club attended the social intending to personalize their technology as advertised, but also to make new friends and meet new people.

“I wanted to learn how to make my accessories tangle free and also to make new friends,” freshman Art club member Alexei Violet said.

One of the main purposes of this event was to garner the art club some exposure, yet unfortunately, the event was not advertised to its full potential.

“There’s not very much to put it out there other than fliers which we did put up on the bulletin boards and also the announcements, but other than that there’s really no other way we can advertise it,” Xu said, “If not a lot of people come, that’s still okay, because at least some people came.”