Varsity football defeats Leland 27-6 (Gallery)

Seniors Rajah Ward, Luis Caballero and James McFadden lead the Mustangs to first victory of the season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mustangs lead 20-0 at the end of the first half.

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

By Mark Lu

On Friday, the HHS football teams faced off against the Leland High School Chargers. Mustangs JV team lost their game 9-0 but the Varsity team beat the Chargers 27-6. Seniors Rajah Ward and Luis Caballero led the way, each scoring a pair of touchdowns.

“I think that the most physical team is gonna win. If we keep them under 14, we’ll be pretty successful,” Coach Morris said before the game.

The Chargers did not score beyond 14.

Because of the Mustangs’ large lead, several players who didn’t participate in HHS’s last two games against San Lorenzo Valley and Milpitas were given a chance to shine. Among these players was senior linebacker Brando “Chuey” Yanez.

“Honestly, it’s my first game in, like, two years, so I’m pretty nervous. But I feel pretty confident that we’re going to take this one,” Yanez said before the game.

Junior quarterback Jack Barden impressed with 88 passing yards and a pass completion percentage of 31%.

Senior running back Rajah Ward stirred the crowd with two touchdowns in six carries, 160 rushing yards, 26.7 average yards per carry and a rush long of 63 yards. Senior running back Luis Caballero finished the game with 101 rushing yards in five carries. Both running backs received Player of the Game for their achievements during the match.

Senior running back Kelli Lackey nabbed the lion’s share of receiving yards with 46 and junior tight end Justin Yi nabbed a game-high 24 yards with a single reception.

Senior defenses James McFadden and Simone Moli made the most tackles, McFadden with seven solo tackles and three assists for a total of ten, and Moli with seven solo tackles and one assist for a total of eight. McFadden received the Player of the Game honor that night with Ward and Caballero.

The Mustangs will take on Terra Nova High School next Friday in Pacifica.

All statistics courtesy of maxpreps.com

• Senior Katy Moylan performs with the Equestriettes during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior trumpet player Ethan Chen performs with the Marching Band during the pre-game performance.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior tight end Justin Yi attempts to receive junior quarterback Jack Barden’s pass.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore bass drummer Khari Crawford marches into formation while the Varsity Mustangs warm up.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Freshman baritone Shannon Guthrie-Johnson performs with the marching band during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior Rena Okamoto performs with the Colorguard during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore Aya Snell and the Colorguard dances to the Marching Band’s playing “Happy” during the pre-game performance.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Madeline Bright and fellow clarinet players perform during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior cheerleader Olivia Sotir performs before the game during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Jessie Peng performs with the Equestriettes during the pre-game show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• HHS football, band and colorguard prepare for Battle of the Bell game on Homecoming night.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Colorguard stands proud as the Marching Band prepares to play the national anthem.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The first quarter kicks off with a Leland start.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior tight end Justin Yi recovers after an incomplete pass from junior quarterback Jack Barden.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Mustangs defend against the Chargers at their own 27-yard line.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior running back Kelli Lackey rushes the ball as Leland backs Justin Yu and Brett Mason tackle him.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The ball is handed off to senior running back Rajah Ward, who makes it to the endzone to score the game’s second touchdown.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Mustangs lead 20-0 at the end of the first half.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior running back Luis Caballero celebrates with teammates after scoring a touchdown in the first half.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Leland defensive end Borna Ebadat’s helmet comes off.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore Casey Latini and junior tight end José Ortega watch the game in the final seconds of the first half.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior quarterback Jack Barden scrambles against Leland defense.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior running back Kelli Lackey secures a few yards.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Homestead Equestriettes perform at the during the halftime show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore percussionist Taraz Chandler performs with the marching band during the halftime show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Student band conductor Kevin Wang directs the marching band’s halftime show performance.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Freshman Kathleen Baur performs with the Colorguard in the Varsity halftime show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Freshman colorguard performer Emma Ford performs in the halftime show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Colorguard performs during the halftime show.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Marching Band performs for the audience at halftime.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Several members of the HHS drumline start a wet sponge fight shortly after the halftime show ends, a marching band tradition called “Papayas,” which used to involve fruit.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Junior tight end Justin Yi stiff-arms Leland cornerback as the second half kicks off.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Mustangs face the Leland Chargers in the second half.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Leland running back Kyle Anderson stumbles with the ball as HHS junior linebacker Aman Srivastava advances on him.

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Mustangs recover the ball after defending well at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior linebacker Jonathan Bennett is tackled during a carry.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior cheer captain Madie Tsao leads the cheerleaders in support of the Mustangs in the fourth quarter.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore cheerleader Vicky Gibbs leads the audience in support of the Mustangs in the fourth quarter.

Photo by Mark Lu