The hottest local spots for hot chocolate enthusiasts

I t’s not uncommon for students to travel off campus during lunch to grab a cup of coffee, most likely in hopes of the caffeine fueling them for the rest of the day.

But then again, there’s alway the teens that despise the bitter taste of coffee, the ones that can go without that energy boost from the beverage.

Hot chocolate is an extremely popular go-to drink among people of all ages. Here are the top local shops selling the popular go-to caffeine free drink:

Starbucks

Starbucks is the most popular out of all of the hot chocolate locations. Their specialty drink contains a dark chocolate taste, and is on the less richer side. However, the sweetness levels are made up for by the whipped cream topping the drink.

Rating: 3/5

Philz Coffee

Although it is not pasted on the menu, if you ask your barista at Philz to make you a hot chocolate, they won’t think twice. This beverage is definitely unique in comparison to the others. You can modify the sweetness and creaminess levels similar to the other items they sell. The hot chocolate itself is rich, thick and foamy.

Rating: 5/5

In-N-Out Burger

In-N-Out burger recently began selling hot chocolate as the newest addition to their menu. This originally became a topic of discussion as it was the first new item added to their menu in over a decade. The fast-food chain’s Ghirardelli hot cocoa is sweet and simple. The beverage was moreover topped with mini marshmallows, which was nice touch to the experience.

Rating: 4/5

Peet’s Coffee

The hot chocolate sold at Peet’s is similar in taste to the drink sold at Starbucks. Although it is slightly sweeter, it still possesses the lack of richness. However, it is additionally topped with whipped cream, which is a subtle but comforting addition to the drink.

Rating: 3.5/5