Days of Homecoming past

Former student turned HHS faculty reminisces

English teacher Sara Moreno graduated from HHS in 1991.

Photo courtesy of Sara Moreno

English teacher Sara Moreno graduated from HHS in 1991. Photo courtesy of Sara Moreno

H

omecoming is the first dance of the school year, and with it comes wacky dress up days, rallies and the famed football game. For decades HHS students have participated in these festivities — but have these traditions changed at all through the years?

English teacher Sara Moreno, who graduated from HHS in 1991, shares what homecoming was like in their time.

Moreno said the football game was their favorite part of homecoming week. However, the football game holds different sentiments for Moreno.

Moreno said her favorite part of homecoming was spending time with friends at the football game and going out for pizza afterward.

“There was always this sort of [feeling], like we didn’t want it to end,” Moreno said. “We’ve had this whole week of fun… even at the end of the [football] game, we still wanted to hang out and do [things together].”

Moreno said elaborate askings to dances is not only a trend today, but was present in their time as well for homecoming.

Moreno advises current students to participate more, as it fosters a sense of school unity. Moreno said the build-up for homecoming found in previous classes has been lost over the years.

“You hear from [students]…there isn’t much spirit and I feel like that’s the expectation,” Moreno said. “If I could tell [students] to change something, it would be to be more involved, especially in fun spirit activities [like homecoming].”