Community, GS Warriors show support for Nuestro family

HHS rallies to support former student, prompting response from Stephen Curry

Photo by Rachel Hildebrand. Curry with Nuestro’s signed shoes after practice today

A screenshot of the original post sent our by Nuestro’s father Ramir, which sparked the ‘#SignForKim’ campaign.

Sophomore Kimberly Nuestro passed away over the weekend from a medical condition, according to an email from principal Greg Giglio.

Nuestro was wearing her favorite player, Stephen Curry’s number 30 as she was playing for her club basketball team, according to a Facebook post by Nuestro’s father Ramir.

Although a loudspeaker announcement could not be made due to AP testing, each third-period teacher was asked to read a memorial statement from the administration.

Nuestro played JV basketball for two years, and was an avid Warriors fan. The Nuestro family asked the HHS community to wear Warriors gear along with the colors blue and gold on Monday in memory of Nuestro.

On Monday evening, a social media campaign began using ‘#SignForKim.’ Ramir started the campaign with a Facebook post on Monday to try to get the attention of Warriors star Stephen Curry and have him sign Nuestro’s shoes in her honor. Teammates, relatives, friends and community members have since shared the post with a photo of Nuestro from the most recent basketball season.

From the Instagram account @chriscedro. Nuestro’s father Ramir and her former coach Christopher Cedro dropping off her shoes at the Warriors practice facility yesterday.

Students have posted the following picture, tagging Stephen Curry, on multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

The hashtag was tweeted over 850 times in the Bay Area’s Twitter radius and was posted over 2,000 times on Instagram. There is no way of tracking the number of hashtag uses on Facebook.

Ramir and Christopher Cedro, one of Nuestro’s former coaches, visited Oracle arena on Tuesday and gave Curry the shoes, according to a post on Cedro’s instagram. Curry said he signed the shoes today, and they will be returned to the Nuestro family.

Photo courtesy of Lindsey Takahashi. This photo of Nuestro from last season was posted with the hashtag ‘SignForKim’ by over 2000 Instagram users.

“I wish I could have met [Nuestro] before she passed,” Curry said. “But this is a small token for her family, to I guess know that there’s a lot of people thinking about them, [to help them] with what they’re going through and to hopefully honor her life with those shoes.”

Administration and the leadership class set up a memorial for students to contribute to throughout the week. Students can drop off photos, flowers and cards for Nuestro and her family. All the items will go to the Nuestro family throughout the week, according to an email from the leadership class.

Counselors are available throughout the week to support students.

The following transcript is an edited version of The Epitaph’s interview with GS Warriors player Stephen Curry:

The Epitaph: Sophomore Kimberly Nuestro passed away this weekend. She was a huge Warriors fan. Everyone [at HHS] wore Warriors gear on Monday in her honor. Is there a message you want to send to her, her family and the school to show support?

Stephen Curry: This is obviously an unfortunate situation for her family. I heard her story, how much she loved basketball, how much she loved watching us play. For her family to have the support of your school of the community around her but also from the Warriors organization to hopefully give them some support and to hopefully get through this situation as best they can. That’s really all you can do. Basketball’s been obviously a huge part of my life and I know for Kimberly she was so passionate about it. And to know that so many people loved her and honor her name with the Warrior logo and colors and everything at school means a lot. I hope her family can get through this as best they can and they have support from everybody around them.

The Epitaph: The whole social media campaign started with her dad actually posting at you on Facebook. Over 2,000 friends, family members and strangers posted. When did you first hear about the “Sign for Kim” campaign?

Stephen Curry: Two days ago, I think. Our [public relations] people reached out to make sure I knew that it was going on. And a little gesture that I could do [was] just to sign the shoe … I wish I could have met her before she passed. But this is a small token for her family, to I guess know that there’s a lot of people thinking about them. With what they’re going through and to hopefully honor her life with those shoes.