Be grateful for our privileges

Stop complaining about school resources to create a healthier environment

Sometimes I complain about the school food we receive during brunch and lunch to my friends because most of the time, it does not match my standards. But we should not be complaining about school resources. The time and effort that goes into educating students makes me consider the broader privileges we have access to — and we should all realize that.

While school meals might not always be appealing, sometimes it is better to refrain from expressing dissatisfaction and simply move on. (Illustration by Mackie Vu)

Although the cafeteria food may not always meet our expectations, complaining about it reflects a lack of gratitude. We can fill our stomachs with convenience to fuel us for the rest of the day for free, saving time and effort. Those who prepare food for our own benefit, so finding reasons to complain undermines their efforts.

Moreover, I also hear students complain about teachers being strict. Similar to the cafeteria food, this complaint shows a lack of gratitude when we have the privilege to learn in a school with resources around us. Additionally, being strict is not inherently bad — teachers are people with standards and expectations for their classes, so we as students should respect that.

Complaining can also cast a negative light on the people around you. People often pick up the negativity around them, and when subjected to someone’s negative thoughts, individuals are more likely to behave the same way, according to Headspace

Additionally, it is important to acknowledge if our complaint is reasonable. For example, in my AP biology class, my teacher makes students put their phones away, a common rule teachers throughout our school implement. While I noticed some students complaining about this policy, it is proven that it creates a distraction-free and conducive learning environment, according to Harvard University’s Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning.

Complaining can aid in bonding and help us process our emotions, according to The New York Times. However, there is a balance between whether it becomes purposeful or excessive, so we must be observant of ourselves whenever we do have to complain and have a broader perspective. 

There are many ways the act of complaining can prove detrimental, especially when most of us are privileged, attending a highly-rated high school in Silicon Valley. We must be aware of the words we spew out because they can hurt the people who want the best for us. So, let us create an environment where, rather than expressing negative thoughts, we build a space that fosters positivity and upliftment.