The student news site of Homestead High School

Seniors say goodbye

Water polo seniors share their greatest memories over the past couple years

By Andrea Boyn

Photo by Andrea Boyn

Waterpolo seniors share their last victory

Girls’ and boys’ water polo team shared their senior night victories on Oct. 17.

To celebrate the seniors, each team added special touches to make the celebration memorable. From giant cut-out heads and customized posters to balloon arches and Snapchat filters, the entire pool deck was full of Mustang spirit.

Four of the graduating seniors were asked for their favorite memory from the past couple years.

“We were gonna lose anyways, and our team doesn’t really care about that kinda stuff so, we played christmas music in the speakers of the locker room and just danced around,” senior Ashley Pae said.

After quite some time deliberating on which moment of many was her absolute favorite, senior Rosalina Fry chose one of the teams “weirdest” moments.

“A really good memory was sophomore year, our last game, we were playing Wilcox, their coach was screaming stuff, and we were winning by a significant amount, and the Ref red carded him.” While they were waiting, Fry said “We swam over to the Wilcox team and we got in a giant circle on the side and started doing a tribal chant.”

While the girl’s favorite memories were focused around their teams comradery, the boys valued their big wins.

“Sophomore year, we won the first CCS game in like 20 years. That was pretty lit,” senior Alexander Zeren said.

Senior Zachary Birrer shared about another game that went down in the books as an upset.

“My favorite moment of water polo was sophomore year when we beat our rival Saratoga in triple overtime.” Birrer said.

Following up to Birrer’s comment, Zeren said “Yeah that was pretty gangster.”

All in all, the memories these senior athletes made together in tournaments and practice will be carried with them forever.