Homestead High School's student newspaper

HHS clubs host Green Fair to inform about sustainability

The Green Ops club handed out fliers to students during lunch.

T
he HHS Green Ops and Key clubs hosted a Green Fair on Friday, April 17 to celebrate Green Week after Earth Day.

This is the first time that Green Fair has been an event held at HHS. In previous years, Green Ops hosted guest speakers to discuss environmental issues.

“[The purpose is] to teach students about different things that they can do to make our community a greener place and also educate them about different issues that are going on in our environment,” club president and senior Emma Chan said.

Club members and officers set up various tables and handed out fliers related to sustainability and raising awareness about environmental issues, junior Helen Wang said. They had guest speakers and worked with a variety of clubs to provide information regarding Green Week.

“We had Design It and Engineering club make posters and we had FBLA hand out reusable bags,” Chan said.

The bags were a great success overall, Chan said. This got students more excited to learn information about sustainability in our community.

The activities offered to students, thus allowing for multiple learning opportunities, is what makes Green Fair unique, Wang said.

One way that sustainability was taught to students was through a “smoothie bike.”  Green Ops officers, such as Chan, participated in pedaling a bike in order to generate enough power to blend eco-friendly smoothies to show that saving the environment can be delicious.