PTSA hosts Goodwill donation drive to fund Grad Night Party

The PTSA hosted a Goodwill donation drive to help fund the upcoming Grad Night Party from Jan. 27-28, GNP co-chair Nanette Jackson said. The drive raised a total of $2,228.90.

The GNP is entirely funded by ticket sales, donations, sponsorships and fundraisers like the Goodwill donation drive, Jackson said. The PTSA added the fundraised money to a pool of available funds used to add more entertainment on the night of the GNP, Jackson added.

A volunteer sorts donations at the Goodwill donation drive fundraiser on Jan. 27. (Photo by Alicia Liste)

After donations, which included e-waste, clothes and household goods, were loaded onto the Goodwill truck, the truck was weighed and the PTSA was compensated accordingly, Jackson said.

The Goodwill fundraiser, which was done in the past to fundraise for the GNP, has a reputation as a high-earning, successful fundraiser, Jackson added.

“Both times, in the past and this last time, we fill up the truck so quickly they have to bring in a second truck,” Jackson said.

Volunteer Michal Lapede, whose daughter is a senior at HHS, said the drive had a substantial turnout.

“Anything we can do to help Homestead and our environment and our community is great,” Lapede said. “It’s so much better [than donating at a Goodwill store] because there is a cause. You get everything out of your house at a specific time. I love it.”

Volunteer Elder Kadar, also a parent to an HHS senior, said she volunteered for similar reasons. 

“We’re enjoying our time together helping the 12th grade and the Grad Night Party so hopefully it’s a great party,” Kadar said. “We are very, very happy to help the community here.”

Volunteer, senior Andrew Ochinero said he is looking forward to attending the GNP. He said he sees the drive as a great way to give back to the community while also raising money, he added. 

Because seniors this year will have a combined prom with the juniors, Jackson said she hopes the GNP will serve as a senior-only alternative that is just as entertaining.

“The Grad Night Party is a tradition and it’s a fun tradition,” Jackson said. “[The graduates] are happy, and everyone wants to celebrate, so we figured it would be kind of like one last time after high school graduation where they can celebrate together.”

Seniors can purchase GNP tickets for $210 until May 17 using this link: tinyurl.com/2sfv4kte