Police called in to resolve altercation on campus

This article was edited on Nov. 20 at 9:16 p.m. to clarify that the former student was in possession of prohibited items.

Aformer student was found loitering in the quad area on Nov. 19, between 7:55 and 8 a.m. The man had come on campus to speak to a former teacher of his, assistant principal John Rodriguez said.

“We have a clear policy on what needs to happen when you come visit our campus … go to the office and get a visitor’s pass,” Rodriguez said.

The former student did not follow the visiting procedure. In addition, the student could not come up with a substantial response when questioned about the intentions of his visit, Rodriguez said. 

[The student] was in possession of some things he should not have had,” Rodriguez said.

Because the student was not cooperative when asked to leave, the police sheriff was called in to intervene.

There are safety precautions that students should be aware of, considering HHS is an open campus.  For example, should a student see a suspicious character, they should alert the nearest adult immediately, who will be able to quickly contact administration, Rodriguez said.

Junior Mimi White was one of the students who witnessed the incident. White said there were not many students at the scene.

The former student was not aggressive, and administration handled it well, White said. 

“Safety is absolutely the most important thing. Our job is keeping [students] safe,” Rodriguez said.