Homestead High School's student newspaper

Drama club performs first play of school year

“A Lighter Shade of Noir” brings comedy, mystery to audiences

After months of arduous work, drama club performs three shows of their fall play, “A Lighter Shade of Noir,” from Nov. 16-18. The play follows international private detectives who aim to solve a case about stolen artifacts, one of the female leads, sophomore Sonali Wake, said.

Lead actress Sonali Wake performs in the fall play with fellow actors, creating a bond between castmates, she said. (Photo by Faith Watters)

The rehearsal process was long and demanding, drama teacher and play director Alana Caires said. The students spent as much as three hours after school to work on the play and their dedication to theater resulted in a notable performance, Caires said.

“We have a lot of people who are passionate about theater and that makes a big difference because they want to be here and they want to do well,” Caires said. “They take criticism really well and they want to improve. We have strong actors who set a solid foundation.”

While their first performance consisted of making sure lines were memorized, the cast quickly transformed into a well-orchestrated team, Caires said. 

“Everyone had a good sense of who they were and how they interacted with other characters,” Caires said. “[They] came out of their shell and had a lot of confidence, [we] ended up having a really great show.”

Furthermore, bonding with cast members makes the long rehearsal hours lively and enjoyable, which carries into the performance, Wake added.

“You get to hang out with all of the actors and they’re all pretty cool people, it’s fun getting to act with them,” Wake said. “Knowing the other actors makes you feel comfortable trying new things and getting into character.”

While actors are the visible face of the production, backstage workers are imperative to the success of the play, Wake said.

“I would like the audience to know [about] the people who do the tech, scene changes, lighting, costumes, they are very vital parts of the show,” Wake said. “You don’t get to see them but it would be nice for the audience to know they’re there and to appreciate [our crew].”

Backstage shift worker, sophomore Kayce Smith said everyone was kind towards each other, and the positive atmosphere showed during performances.

Caires said she hopes the audience recognized how strong and talented the actors are, and how much fun the cast had putting on the production.

“They make me so happy,” Caires said. “Seeing [my students] up there with their skills and ability to command the audience, brings me so much joy.”