Rethink the grind

Busyness is the achievement’s true enemy

It is easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of activities, assignments and assessments. We as students constantly strive to check off tasks on our never-ending to-do lists. However, it is crucial to pause and question: Do we truly value what we are doing or simply value the feeling of being busy?

Taking a break from activities is necessary to improve mental health because it allows time for relaxation, reduces stress levels and allows for a clearer mind. (Illustration by Naaga Senthil)

At this school, students are often under the pressure of the “grind,” where success equals how much work we can cram into our schedules. We measure our self-worth by the number of hours we study, the number of clubs we join and the number of leadership positions we have racked up over the years. 

The problem is that while we go on justifying the slog, we fail to notice burnout creeping up on us, according to Harvard Business Review. In the pursuit of busyness, we overlook the most important aspect of our lives: our well-being. 

I have experienced the toll of prioritizing busyness over well-being. In freshman year, I filled every minute of my day with activities — from competing for events in Future Business Leaders of America and library volunteering — convinced that not being constantly on the go was a sign of weakness. However, I soon realized that my mental and physical health was suffering under the weight of my packed schedule. I was constantly exhausted, stressed and unable to fully enjoy my activities. 

It was not until I took a step back that I began to understand the true meaning of success. I started asking myself why I was doing certain things that I did not even enjoy rather than just doing them for the sake of doing something. I realized that true success is not about how busy you are, but about finding fulfillment in what you do. 

From realizing this, I made significant changes in my life. I dropped some clubs I did not even enjoy initially, which gave me more time to focus on the activities I truly liked and step out of my comfort zone by joining clubs like American Sign Language and origami, even though I was initially hesitant. 

Before putting this into practice, I believed participating in these clubs would take away time from the activities I deemed important. However, by exploring new clubs and activities, I realized each new experience offers unique learning opportunities. In my time at ASL, I improved my communication skills and connected with others meaningfully, and origami club gave me a space to relax and enjoy myself. 

Putting our well-being first does not mean we must sacrifice our goals or ambitions. It means recognizing that our mental and physical health are equally valuable. The science is clear that when we prioritize our well-being, we are more creative, productive, resilient and make better decisions, according to Business and Tech. Taking breaks and getting enough sleep are not signs of laziness, but rather essential practices for success that will help us engage in activities that truly bring us joy. 

It is time for us to stop glorifying busyness and instead celebrate balance, mindfulness and self-care. We must encourage each other to pursue activities that align with our passions and values, rather than simply adding more tasks to our already overflowing plates. But ultimately, it is time for us all to shift our mindsets and redefine what success looks like at HHS.