Homestead High School's student newspaper

Class teams assemble for anticipated annual school rivalry

Practices are currently being held as all of the class teams prepare for the competition

Battle of the Classes is approaching quickly and the teams are in the midst of preparing for the events that this spirit week includes.  The events are powderpuff football games, cheer-offs, dance-offs, and rally events. Each event is a competition between the four classes at HHS.

As for preparations, the rally athlete teams have not begun practice. Rally athlete practice only happens at scheduled times when all teams practice together, junior rally athlete Julien Kehon said. Any outside practice for these teams can result in a disqualification.

Powderpuff football, dance and cheer have been practicing on the baseball fields during lunch and as BOTC week is coming closer, final preparations are intensifying for the highly anticipated event, senior and member of the class of 2018’s cheer team Amarali Marashifar said.

“Time is going by really fast so we are kind of starting to run out of time but we can still get everything done,” sophomore dancer Sasha Oberman said regarding the class of 2020’s dance team’s preparations.

The 2018 cheer team has learned a majority of their routine and feels prepared for the spirit week, Marashifar said. They are all energetic and excited to perform for the school.

Marashifar is a member of the Powderpuff cheer team, and described the Class of 2018’s loss last year as “a nightmare.”

“Quoting a mediocre artist, Big Sean: ‘Last night took an L, but tonight I bounce back’ is what the Class of 2018 is trying to make a reality,” Marashifar said.

On the other hand, junior rally athlete Sunny Arattukulam is looking to claim the trophy for the Class of 2019 after last year’s misread of the winner.

“Since last year we were robbed for the win, we all are trying to get revenge. So we are pretty hyped for this year,” Arattukulam said.