New to the neighborhood: Dean Brooke Chan

Brooke Chan has played volleyball for most of her life and has coached at a high level for 10 years.

Photo by James Zhaung

Brooke Chan is a new dean on campus. In the past, she worked as a guidance counselor at Educational Options, an alternative program for students in FUHSD, and was a guidance counselor at HHS for seven years prior to that.

Chan said she became a dean because she enjoys working with students.

“Even though some of my conversations aren’t fun in nature, I still like getting to know students and working with them on their academics and what makes them who they are,” Chan said.

So far, Chan said, she has enjoyed the student body.

“I’m really impressed,” Chan said. “I’m impressed with the students, how respectful, polite but also how multi-talented they are.”

She said she also likes the diversity, energy and large size of Homestead.

As a dean, Chan wants to make sure the school is a place where students are happy and enjoy learning.

“A goal for me is making sure students’ voices are heard in decision-making,” she said.

While she is not acting as the dean, Chan said she is preoccupied with pursuing a doctorate in educational leadership. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with her family, playing volleyball and doing yoga. Chan said she played volleyball throughout high school and college, and has also coached for ten years.