Snapchat metamorphosizes education

In their pursuit to keep up with technological trends, teachers adopt Snapchat to help students and teach responsibility

Photo illustration by James Zhuang

Photo illustration by James Zhuang

In their latest crave for implementing technology into classrooms, teachers have embraced Snapchat to communicate with students, allowing them to post homework on their story, help with problems on an individual basis and post quick, informative lessons.

Snapchat has rapidly revolutionized the way in which students seek help from their teachers, as they now have 24-hour access to homework help. Gone are the ridiculous, old-fashioned days of students searching for homework problems online or having to ask their teachers in person.

“Snapchat has been the most brilliant addition to education on the record as I can now help my students at any time of the day, much like a teacher on-demand,” math teacher Al-Ja Bru-tuTrig said. “Because of the amazing support network Snapchat has created, students are performing better than ever before.”

Snapchat also helps students build a strong sense of responsibility and diligence. Teachers who send assignments through Snapchat take points off for students who screenshot the assignments, believing that focus and diligence are necessary skills.

“In the real world, time is money. If you can’t take notes on something in eight seconds then you will lose in the game of life. I teach AP so if they can’t take the heat they should get out of the kitchen,” history teacher Ayy Poosh said.

No longer do students simply send pictures of meaningless activities such as a weekly Trader Joe’s grocery trip, laundry detergent run at Target or, heaven forbid, their Starbucks orders, but student “snaps” have been academically focused, allowing for them to use a seemingly waste-of-time app as a vehicle for personal and intellectual growth.

“Seeing so many people engaged in school has really been a motivating and inspiring experience,” sophomore Monica Wulu said. “It really encourages me to try harder and pursue my own academic passions.”

“Collaboration has greatly increased, and it’s heartening to see so many stories of difficult problems as students work together to bring each other up,” Bru-tuTrig said.

Students are not the only ones avidly using Snapchat. Teachers find great new capabilities and uses for Snapchat as well. They often send snaps reminding students to do their homework and prevent procrastination.

“Every time I see Mr. Poosh’s prying face, I get right back to work and my productivity has greatly increased because of it,” Wulu said.

Even outside of academics, Snapchat serves as a useful tool for teachers to positively influence students. Teachers love to send snaps giving life and health advice to students, such as sending pictures of shopping for vegetables in order to remind students to eat healthy.

Because of Snapchat, teachers can now monitor, just like the bearded old man in the North Pole, whether students are awake or asleep and whether they’ve been good or bad. In addition, when they find it necessary, teachers can send snaps with advice to students such as recommendations for which coffee to drink in order to stay awake the longest.

Additionally, Snapchat has created a much more personal and tight-knit community between students and teachers.

“I love the closeness I have gained with my students through Snapchat,” Poosh said. “I go to school everyday with questions, such as ‘Did Monica successfully ask that girl to formal’ or ‘was Monica able to make good cookies for her mom’s birthday?’”

The addition of Snapchat to the classroom revolutionizes both the way students interact with teachers and amongst themselves. It teaches responsibility, gives students a 24-hour support network and helps teachers keep students on task. Its effects even reach outside of academics, allowing teachers to ensure students live healthy and safe lives, thus making Snapchat the greatest advancement in all of education since the creation of the desk in the 17th century.