Letter to the Editor: environmental group representative responds to district turf story

Regarding the article “FUHSD to replace turf fields districtwide” in the December 15 edition, I was thrilled to see Superintendent Clarke note that the district intends to choose an organic infill option. The challenge is that “choosing organic infill” is NOT the same thing as “choosing organic artificial turf.” It’s important to note that “organic infill” just means that the infill is sourced from plants instead of from inorganic materials like rubber. 

“Organic infill” does not mean that the infill is free of chemicals. In fact, “organic infill” contains things like black carbon, lead, zinc, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Furthermore, the infill is only one part of artificial turf. The article notes that artificial turf is made up of multiple components, such as padding and infill. 

In addition, artificial turf has a carpet layer. The carpet layer, which is always made of plastic, is the “grass” blades, and it’s in this layer where you always find PFAS chemicals, even when the infill is supposedly “PFAS-free.” These PFAS “forever” chemicals are linked to numerous health effects, including an increased risk of certain types of cancer, decreased immune system efficiency, and reproductive health issues. 

It is critical to distinguish between “organic infill” and “organic artificial turf” – and to acknowledge that there is no such thing as “organic artificial turf.” If the district wants an “organic turf” option, then the only choice is natural grass. Luckily, there has been substantial work in recent years to develop new natural grass strains that are drought-friendly and low maintenance. The district has an obligation to everyone to include these grasses in its search for truly “organic turf options.”

Sincerely,

Cortney Jansen

Community for Natural Play Surfaces member, future FHS parent