Homestead High School's student newspaper

Missing necessities affect student comfort

During long school days, there is no doubt that many students will at some point need to use the restrooms. However, whenever I use the restroom, I almost always notice something missing ranging from soap to sink plunger caps. Many necessities are lacking around campus, preventing students from getting the resources they need.

Certain items such as soap are essential to student well-being, yet they are frequently missing. (Illustration by Brian Ling)

One of the most important items that seems to always be missing is tissues, with some classrooms not even providing any year-round. Tissues are generally supplied by teachers and many classes simply offer paper towels. 

With tissues in such demand by students, the school administration could purchase tissues for students and alleviate the responsibility on teachers, especially during the spring season when allergies tend to flare up. This would make students exponentially more comfortable and I found that not needing to worry about running to the restroom to clean myself when I had a runny or stuffy nose allowed me to focus in class better and improved my productivity overall.

Additionally, the majority of the school restroom stalls are missing or are using defunct stall locks. It has become uncommon to find a properly working restroom stall as most locks are either bent, making it impossible to fully lock, or even just completely missing. These render the stall almost useless as you can not really keep the door closed most of the time. 

However, as the school restrooms are made to be used primarily for students, it would be hard for staff to know about these issues. Because of this, the school should implement a feedback system,  such as a Google form, for students to report problems quickly. This would be much more efficient than wandering around campus to find a staff to report it to.

To address these kinds of issues, our school should consider allocating more funds to fill the missing things around the school. This would not only make students’ lives around campus a lot easier but significantly more comfortable as well. 

Students also need to remember to be courteous with the spaces that we share and be more conservative with the perishables we have. The school can only supply us with so much, and if the things we are provided with are being misused, administrators may begin to lose trust and revoke these things from us.