Leveling up programming skills

Game design club educates members on creating video games

As the popularity of gaming persists, the game design club was formed to introduce students to the process of how games are made, president Rishabh Bhargava said. This skill can be turned into a career through companies such as Epic Games or Riot, Bhargava added.

Game design club primarily uses the C# coding language to make their games, vice president Dhruv Bhargava said. (Photo by Brian Ling)

“We wanted other people to see if they were interested in making games like we are, as well as programming,” Bhargava, a senior, said. 

The game design club teaches every aspect of game design, from the functionality and logic of the game to the art and aesthetics.

One project the club has made is a game called “A Mustang’s Journey,” which served as an introduction and demonstration for game development, vice president Dhruv Bhargava said. In the game, players control a horse that runs around to collect points, he added.

“Working on Mustang’s Journey as a group was very enjoyable and it was a great way for the members of our club to get an early experience in making 2D games,” Dhruv Bhargava said.

Despite their goal of spreading game design to the student body, as a relatively new club, one issue that the club faces is with their member count, Dhruv Bhargava said.

“We have some competition with other clubs like programming club, but since we offer a very different [focus], we feel that we can get more members and support through the year,” Dhruv Bhargava said.

Member Ethan Thomas said he joined the game design club as he has always been interested in game development.

“Our officers usually present some unity coding and some game development in general,” Thomas, a junior, said. “Learning in the game development club has been a valuable learning experience for me. I never knew where to get started and this club helped me learn the basics.”

In the future, Thomas said he hopes to use the skills he gains to create his own project.

“After playing video games my whole life, I developed my own ideas for games, and this club helped me materialize those visualizations into reality,” Thomas said. “My final goal for this club is to be able to make a full working game by myself and present it to the world.”