Homecoming 2016 wraps with a packed Friday

A rally, parade, football game and dance mark the end of Homecoming Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Class of 2018 participates in rally cheer-off. The juniors later won second place in Homecoming 2016 overall.

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

By Mark Lu

After four days of brunch cheer-offs and lunchtime activities, Homecoming day finally arrived last Friday. In place of  tutorial, the Homecoming rally kicked off with a performance by the Marching Band and Colorguard.

“I think our performance was… good, especially the bass drum at the end,” sophomore piano player Sean Chen said.

The rally continued with a performance by the cheer team and the Equestriettes dance team.

Following these performances, the annual Homecoming court ceremony took place. The nominees, nominated  by HHS staff and selected by the senior class, were seniors Edward Li, Lindsay Allen, Yannik Omictin, Danielle Genovese, Trevor Carpenter, Claire Wynne, Tej Gokhale, Elizabeth Cook, Jacob Larry and Juritzy Caravez. Omictin and Allen were crowned Homecoming king and queen.

For freshmen, this was their first experience with the Homecoming court.

“It’s really cool for them to dress up like that, and it’s really fun to watch,” freshman Leiyonee Bose said.

After the ceremony ended, the rally wrapped up with the presentations of every class’ Homecoming videos, each one themed around both Homecoming and its class’ theme.

“The [freshman, sophomore, junior] videos all had cool visuals, which is a crowd-pleaser. [The senior] video focused too much on story,” senior Homecoming video director Alex Lyon said.

“The seniors’ video was so good,” said junior Austina Wang, who directed the Class of 2018 Homecoming video. “It actually had a story.”

Following seventh period  on Friday, the marching band, Colorguard, Equestriettes, cheer team and police department led all four classes and the Homecoming court in the  Homecoming parade.

“[The parade] is the most surreal thing about Homecoming because everything comes together at the parade. Just being there, in the car, outside the car, you just feel this kind of magic and this spirit,” Omictin said.

At 6:00 p.m., the Homecoming Varsity football game kicked off under a drizzle. In a close game, the varsity mustangs won 41-37 with points by junior running back Joey Bond-Davidson, senior running back Rajah Ward, senior wide receiver Luke Mujica and junior fullback Andrew Oduor.

Senior running back Kelli Lackey dominated the long receiving game and averaged ten yards per catch. Senior running back Rajah Ward rushed for 238 yards in 16 carries.

“It was thrilling seeing the amount of support and unity brought to the Battle of the Bell game despite the weather,” senior Yu Ying Chua said.

Following the Varsity game, the Homecoming dance took place in the Student Center and Large Gym. There was a photo booth operated by the photography class and Life in Focus photography club and ASB-run food centers offering popcorn, water and popsicles.

“I think that the dance was extremely fun. It was a great start to the dances of the year, and I’m excited to see what other dances are gonna be like,” junior Simon Lee said.

• Sophomore Sean Chen prepares to play with the marching band in the first number of the rally.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore Katelyn Pan was one of the emcees during the Homecoming Rally on Friday.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Kellyanne Ye performs alongside the Colorguard and Marching Band in the opening performance of the Homecoming rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Emma Choi performs alongside the Colorguard and Marching Band in the opening performance of the Homecoming rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Class of 2018 participates in rally cheer-off. The juniors later won second place in Homecoming 2016 overall.

Photo by Mark Lu

• Sophomore Victoria Gibbs performs with the HHS Cheer Team during the Homecoming Rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• The HHS Cheer Team performs during the Homecoming Rally

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Stephanie Okumura performs with the Equestriettes during the Homecoming Rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• (From left) Sophomores Angela Wipfler, Jamie Siegler and Cassidy Kinderman perform with the Equestriettes during the Homecoming Rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• Homecoming court nominees Tej Gokhale and Elizabeth Cook

Photo by Mark Lu

• Homecoming court nominee Edward Li and Homecoming Queen 2016 Lindsay Allen

Photo by Mark Lu

• Homecoming court nominees Trevor Carpenter and Claire Wynne

Photo by Mark Lu

Photo by Mark Lu

• Homecoming nominees Yannik Omictin and Danielle Genovese

Photo by Mark Lu

• The Equestriettes march in front of the classes during the Homecoming parade

Photo by Mark Lu

• The HHS Colorguard marches in front of the classes during the Homecoming parade

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Kevin Wang marches with the Marching Band during the Homecoming Rally

Photo by Mark Lu

• Homecoming king and queen Yannik Omictin and Lindsay Allen

Photo by Mark Lu

• Senior Madie Tsao performs with the Cheer Team in the opening performance at the Homecoming Varsity football game

• Senior Stephanie Okumura performs with the Equestriettes in the opening performance at the Homecoming Varsity football game

• Senior Katy Moylan performs with the Equestriettes in the opening performance at the Homecoming Varsity football game

• “[The game] I love being apart of scream team because i love being in the middle of such a spirited group of people because it feels like i am apart of the game.” Meghan Hook (11)

Photo by Lauren Holloway

Photo by Lauren Holloway

• “[The parade] was a great experience to show some school spirit and hang out with friends. The rain also made it memorable and I’ve got to give it to the junior class for the best float. I mean did you see that Ferris wheel?” - Reid Skidmore (11)

Photo by Lauren Holloway

• “For me, being homecoming king is simply an honor and just crazy surprising, to be honest. It doesn’t change anything about me though, and I will continue to fight just as hard to represent the students to the best of my abilities.” - Yannik Omictin (12)

Photo by Lauren Holloway

• “ [The rally]I loved running to the center of the gym to watch all of the spirited hard working homecoming videos.” - Kylie Acquistapace (11)

• [The rally] I enjoyed the anticipation of seeing who won on the homecoming court. They all looked so gorgeous and everyone deserved to win.” - Lily Nguyen (11)

Photo by Lauren Holloway

• “My freshman homecoming experience was special because I was surrounded by friends, felt a sense of unity between my peers and I, and I also felt entitled to enjoy homecoming as much as possible since I spent a lot of hours over the weekend helping out class officers complete the float and video.” - Julio Meza (9)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “My last homecoming was special because it’s one of the activities where everyone comes together and is spirited even if they don’t support football because they are proud to go to Homestead.” - Karsyn Lee (12).

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “I think [homecoming] was pretty interesting, how we changed from freshman to seniors and the whole attitude of the whole thing changed completely and everybody was a lot more excited and a lot more enthusiastic and a lot more able to express their love for Homestead.” - Adit Kishen (12)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “We won the game this year and it was awesome to watch them [the team]; the game was really fun.” - Sahil Morchi (10)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “The senior class was very united and all the people involved kept it hype. Props to all the officers, they did some good work.” - Sammy Shiblaq

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “The game was really important; it was my last time fighting for the bell with my teammates and plus it was homecoming. It was a must win game. My mentality going into it was just to win and get out of there healthy.” - Rajah Ward (12)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “My favorite part of homecoming was definitely when the sophomores beat the juniors at the brunch time cheer off because that showed just how spirited we got compared to freshmen year.” - Victoria Gibbs (10)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “Aside from the rally, which is always my favorite spirit aspect at homestead, the football game was really exciting this year since it was also the battle of the bell and the game was really close. It was also cool that it rained for a bit.” - Andrea Francu (12)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “Homecoming was amazing because of all the hype and spirit that got people excited.” - Milo Forbes (10)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “[The dance] had a nice energy.” - Isabel Serrato (10)

Photo by Aarya Gupta

• “In the last quarter of the game, I was thinking about all of my previous games against Fremont throughout my high school career and was determined to win. My heart was definitely racing the entire game but I didn’t let that affect me. I’m happy that my team was able to play their hearts out until the last second and win the game for me and all the other seniors.” - Kelli Lackey (12)

Photo by Aarya Gupta