New assistant coach duo refreshes varsity baseball team

Two new assistant coaches, Dylan Remahl and Joseph Perez, joined head coach Travis Sunseri in coaching the boys varsity baseball team early in the fall season, following the exit of two former coaches.

Baseball coaches Joseph Perez, Travis Sunseri and Dylan Remahl (from left to right) address the varsity team after their first scrimmage of the season on Feb. 13. The new coaches have worked with the players individually on how they can be more efficient with our movements, pitcher and first baseman Nate Enders said. (Photo by Alicia Liste)

Perez, who has been coaching baseball for 19 years, said he coached Sunseri and many of the kids who are currently on varsity when they were on travel teams.

“My experience coaching has prepared me to teach these boys what’s wrong from right,” Perez said.

Similarly, Remahl said he played baseball at HHS for four years and wanted to return to pursue his passion. He loves giving back to the community and coaching baseball, Remahl added.

“I wanted to reunite with [the kids] and coach them one last time,” Remahl said.

Remahl said his goals for coaching the team include encouraging players to keep a positive mindset through adversities and teaching them lessons that prepare them for experiences that go beyond just baseball. 

“The mental side of baseball includes instilling a belief and confidence in yourself that you can succeed even though it’s a game of failure,” Remahl said. “I’m trying to equip the boys with the tools to be able to handle whatever the game throws at them and what life throws at them.” 

Catcher and pitcher, senior Thalun Williams said having assistant coaches has helped improve the team, as they manage the players well. Williams added that he looks forward to seeing the new assistant coaches continue to bond with the players and improve the team’s chemistry. 

Similarly, pitcher and first baseman Nate Enders said Perez has been able to help players with the technicalities of hitting.

“He seems he’s well versed in hitting and he knows what he’s doing,” Enders, a senior, said. “It’s been a while since we’ve had a really strong hitting coach here so I’m excited to see what he does with the batting lineups this year.” 

Moreover, Enders said the team struggled with using its pitchers in certain situations last year, and Remahl will be able to help with that.

“It’s cool to have a guy that has college experience who can lead our pitchers,” Enders said. “He is also helping us a lot mechanically with our pitching form and on how we can be more efficient in our movements when we pitch.”

To ensure effective collaboration, the three coaches are constantly communicating with one another, Remahl said.

“We’re like best friends now,” Remahl said. “We enjoy working together and making sure that we best prepare the boys every day.”