Authentic style cannot be a trend

Imitating eclectic grandpa fashion trends contradicts its core values

Fashion trends often take inspiration from past trends. Eclectic grandpa, one such trend from 2024 Pinterest’s trend predictions, continues to make waves on the Internet.

A person who has not developed a personal sense of style can not encapsulate the idea of an eclectic grandpa. (Illustration by Amanda Boles)

Characterized by custom clothing, funky accent pieces and items one has accumulated over the years, this style uniquely represents an individual’s life experiences. The trend aspires to emulate the style of a cool, well-lived older man. It emulates the appearance of an individual who has developed a unique sense of style through life, not as a trend, but as a way of life.

Eclectic refers to someone or something that derives their style from a broad and diverse range of sources, according to Oxford Languages. Unlike true eclectic grandpa fashion, trends are fleeting and do not allow people to take their time with finding items of interest. Instead, they incentivize people to find a piece quickly and cast it aside once a new trend takes over. The grandpa’s current wardrobe is in its final and most complete stage, with his items a testament to meaningful moments in his life. 

I often see Outfit of the Day videos showcasing some funky aesthetic, but these personal clothing choices are ruined by other content creators’ cheap look-alike outfits. A wave of such clothes in a certain style will take over my feed, and within the month, the Internet will find a new fad to move onto. Imitating a style without thought instead of steadily developing an understanding of style is completely against the nature of eclectic grandpa.

An eclectic grandpa has done enough self-exploration to know what they like and they stick with it. This type of fashion places value on high-quality pieces that accurately represent someone’s personality. 

Instead of chasing a temporary trend, if one aims to become an eclectic grandpa, they must find what truly matches their taste. Self-discovery requires an investment of time since trends come and go quickly. Eclectic grandpa has had enough time to discover what represents him best because he developed this taste instead of blindly chasing trends.