Homestead High School's student newspaper

Varsity softball hits a line drive to CCS

After a season of struggles, girls varsity softball overcame several obstacles and qualified for CCS championships, varsity coach Chris Caires said. The team’s strength and determination through hardship helped them make championships, Caires added.

Caires said the girls have a close bond which helps them get through the season. (Photo by Malar Raguraman)

Caires said he recognized the team’s potential since the beginning of the season.

“I felt the varsity team could be competitive in the De Anza division and had a good chance of making the CCS playoffs,” Caires said. “The addition of some talented freshmen players to our varsity squad certainly made a difference.”

However, the beginning of the season was difficult, as Caires had to manage both varsity and JV teams, varsity pitcher Mackenzie Smith said.

“Our coach could not focus on us, which was difficult because we needed practice,” Smith, a freshman, said. “We could not get that practice when we’re trying to focus on both [teams].”

The team was also affected because many players were injured throughout the season, Caires said.

“This season, we only had 12 players on the roster and averaged only 9-10 available for each game mainly due to injuries to various players,” Caires said. “Our largest obstacle was staying healthy.”

On April 22, Bryan Devert joined the team as assistant coach, the varsity team had the opportunity to improve, varsity second base, freshman Elisa Coyle said.

After a season of hard work, Caires said the varsity softball team not only made it to CCS, but they also received an automatic qualifying bid for finishing 4th in the SCVAL De Anza division. Caires said he was happy to hear the news and felt it was well-deserved.

Similarly, Smith said that the team’s high morale helped them make CCS.

“We are all believing in each other,” Smith said. “We all know [we] can do it and we just keep encouraging each other.”

Caires said that he hopes the team will stay strong and perform well during the remainder of the season.

“Our season is not over and I hope it continues,” Caires said. “I hope we are able to continue through CCS playoffs but my favorite part is kind of unwritten right now. I am just hoping everybody is striving to make the postseason.”